Tags

, , ,

Augsburg was a center of fencing activity like Nürnberg and Frankfurt. It’s early fencing show (Fechtschule) tradition starts at the beginning of the 16th century and ends in the 18th century, when the fencing house was demolished. There had been two buildings connected with fencing in the city. The first is the famous “Tanzhaus” a building for dancing and other amusements that burned (again) down in 1632. The history of this building starts in 1396, a new building next  to the St. Moritz church a front of the Perlach was replacing the old dancing hall. But it was to small, so it was demolished and rebuild in 1429. In the lower level was the bread bakery and a butcher, in the upper level was the dancing hall. 1451 the building burned down and was rebuild in 1453 until it burned down again in 1632.

A sponsor gave a new place to the fencers but later he sold that place to support the poor. The fencing shows continued to take place in the building until it was demolished in 1776 to the end of the display of fencing shows in Augsburg.

The following reports are taken partly from books of the 19th century. These books contain essays, that are often compiled from files or from other essays or books. They are somewhat reliable and sometimes report facts based on files that are lost to us now.

1509

  • A Fechtschul is reported at the follies called the “big shooting” in July for Wilhelm IV, Duke of Bavaria  {3}{6}

1539

1540

  • Jacob Wieland of Ulm, Freifechter and goldsmith, arranged a  fechtschull at the dantzhauss (7. March 1543){2}

1541

  • Heinrich Aschholz of Kelen (Kehlheim), a furrier arranged a  fechtschull at the dantzhauss (30. January 1541){2}

1541

  • Wentz Lex of Olmütz arranged a  freye fechtschull at the dantzhawss (26. February 1542){2}
  • 1543

    • Thomas Müller of Memmingen, Freifechter and goldsmith k, arranged a  fechtschull at the dantzhauss (2. December 1543){2}

1544

  • Jos Beck of Opernum, arranged a  fechtschull at the dantzhaws (18. May 1544){2}
  • Lamprecht Gerenreich, Student und Freifechter zu Nürnberg, arranged a  fechtschull at the dantzhawss (5. October 1544) {2}
  • Hans Bader von München arranged a  fechtschull at the dantzhauss (26. October 1544){2}

1545

  • Jos Beck, arranged a  freyen fechtschull at the dantzhaws (22. February 1545){2}
  • Gilg Weyxelmann of Landshut arranged a  freyen fechtschul at the dantzhawss (1. March 1545) {2}
  • Jacob Strauss, Freifechter and furrier journeyman of Speyer, arranged a  freyen fechtschul at the dantzhauss (22. March 1545) {2}
  • Sigmundt Schauberger, Freifechter and blacksmith of Munich, arranged a  freyen fechtschul at the tantzhauss  (12. April 1545){2} (see The Marxbrüder chronicle from the Cod.I.6.2o.5 and other sources – the entry to Sigmund Schambergerr 1548).
  • Hans Bader von München hält eine freyen fechtschul at the dantzhaws ab (19. April 1545){2}
  • Six Hautter, master of the longsword and furrier journeyman of Munich, arranged a fechtschull at the dantzhaws (3. May 1545){2} (see The Marxbrüder chronicle from the Cod.I.6.2o.5 and other sources – the entry to Six Hautter at 1544).

1568

1582

1596

  • At the 9th January the city council created an edict for the fencers that had their fencing show each week (“every 8th day”) Raths Decreta  269 297 {6}

1615

  • In January a so called Klopffechter (insulting nickname for a fencer) stabbed a broken rapier into the eye of an opponent, who died on that cause. To prevent further accidents the city council stopped the fencing shows (taken from the “Kurtze Augspurgische Chronica” 1600-1698) {1} {6}

1632

  • The “Tanzhaus” House of Dancing burned down {4}

1637

  • Konrad Bodenehr, a citizen and mead maker (Methsieder), gave yard and hayrick for the Fechtschule {4}

1651

  • The hayrick and yard was converted to a show stage by Konrad Bodenehr {4}

1661

  • Konrad Bodenehr sold the yard and hayreck to the office of poverty, the fencing continued in that building.{4}

1710

  • The horse butcher Michael Reischle asked for the permission for a hunt on oxes by dogs in that building. He offered to repair the building, it was in a devastating state. {5}

1776

  • The stage for fencing was irreparable. It was demolished. There had been no further report of fencing events in the city of Augsburg {4}.

Books used:

{1} Wöchentliche Nachrichten für Freunde der Geschichte, Kunst und Gelahrtheit des Mittelalters, Band 3, 1817
{2} Cod. Pal. 304 in Die Codices Palatini germanici in der Universitätsbibliothek Heidelberg (Cod. Pal. Germ. 304-495), Matthias Miller, Universitätsbibliothek Heidelberg, Otto Harrassowitz Verlag, 2007 
{3} Hamburger literarische und kritische blätter …, Band 34, 1858
{4} Oekonomische encyklopädie, Band 174, Johann Georg Krünitz, Friedrich Jakob Floerken, Heinrich Gustav Flörke, Johann Wilhelm David Korth, Carl Otto Hoffmann, Ludwig Kossarski, J. Pauli, 1840
{5} Forschungen zur schwäbischen Geschichte von Pankraz Fried von Jan Thorbecke Verlag, Stuttgart, Mai 1998
{6} Geschichte der Heil. Röm. Reichs Freyen Stadt Augspurg: Aus Bewährten Jahr-Büchern und Tüchtigen Urkunden gezogen Und an das Licht gegeben, Band 1, Paul von Stetten, Merz und Mayer, 1743